Image Map

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Math Mentor Text Linky

I'm excited to link up for the first time with Collaboration Cuties: Math Mentor Text Linky!

 
 
This is going to be a quick post because I need to get ready for church and then I have a busy day planned out!
 
 
 
I always start out my fraction unit by reading The Hershey's Milk Chocolate Fraction Book by: Jerry Pallotta. It is a great overview of compring and ordering fractions, simplifying fractions, and equivalent fractions.  I always pass out a Hershey's candy bar and when I am done reading I put the different pages of the book up on the document camera and we use the candy bar as a manipulative. The students love this activity and they can't wait to eat the candy bar at the end :)
 
 

 

8 comments:

  1. I love teaching math with food and this is one of my favorites - although the M & M's one is pretty yummy too!

    Looking From Third to Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my faves, but our school no longer allows us to give candy to the kids!:( I used to pass out the real deal when it was allowed, but I can always make paper candy, ha!

    Kristin
    iTeach 1:1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! The others in the series are wonderful as well...

    Sarah @ Hoots N' Hollers

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love using this book with my kids too. Anytime they get to work with something they can later eat excites them!
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love doing Hershey math!! So fun (and of course, it keeps their attention if you tell them they can't eat it unless they pay attention and work the problems!)

    Thank you for linking up!!!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use this book in my 4th grade classroom as well. It is always a big hit. By the way, I am glad you stopped by my blog today. I enjoy finding other 4th grade blogs.
    Foreman Teaches

    ReplyDelete