Image Map

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Workshop Wednesday Linky: Writing Mini Lesson

I am linking up again this week with Ideas by Jivey for her Wednesday Workshop linky party! This week the topic is Writing Workshop.
 
 
 
I look forward to teaching figurative language each year and my favorite part to teach is onomatopoeia. The students love it as much as I do! I always start out with a Notebook presentation to review and then show my two all time favorite video clips! My students beg to watch Mrs. Munger's class throughout the year!
 



After watching the videos, I bring in the comic section from the newspaper for each student to look at, and we look at examples of onamotopoeia. I also like to have the students write their own comics, including the use of onomatopoeia.

What are your favorite writing workshop mini lessons?

If you are interested in the Smart notebook activity I use, leave a comment with your email and I will email it to you!

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to see your Smart notbeook activity. Thanks for sharing! My kids love doing onomatopoeia too. I really like the idea of using comics to find them!
    sleepnght@yahoo.com
    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  2. Onomatopoeia is so fun!! Thanks for linking up! :)
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the video links! We only ever watch the Schoolhouse Rocks video - I guess it is time for me to try new things! Thank you so much for the ideas! I'd love your file but we don't use Smartboards we use Brightlinks projectors : (

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always tell my students that onomatopoeia is a funny sounding word for funny sounding words. That seems to help it stick in their memories. I love your ideas!

    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete