Image Map

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Science Mentor Text: Bartholomew and the Oobleck

I am linking up again with Collaboration Cutie's Mentor Text linky. This week's Mentor Text topic is SCIENCE!
 
 
One of my favorite science units to teach is matter. There are so many fun experiments you can do with solids, liquids, gases, and chemical and physical changes. I always start this unit by reading Dr. Seuss' Bartholomew and the Oobleck
 
 
After reading the book, we discuss the characteristics of the Oobleck. Then we make our own! Making the Oobleck really allows students to observe both the solid and liquid characteristics. Click the picture below for a freebie recipe on how to make Oobleck and an observation worksheet.
 
Oobleck Recipe (From Dr. Seuss' Barthomew and the Oobleck)Oobleck Exploration Worksheet
 
What are your favorite pictures books to use with science?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


9 comments:

  1. Super fun lesson! My boys, heck even my girls, would love this! I'm your newest follower!
    Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!! I wanted to do this this year but then I got a little scared- what is oobleck? A solid or a liquid?? I wasn't sure if I could decide...what do you think?

    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matter was one of my favorite units to teach. We used to make homemade rootbeer, but this year my partner made Oobleck the day before spring break. The kids went nuts.

    Thanks for sharing your recipe and observation guide!

    Kristin
    Teachntex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our team loves to use this book and make the oobleck during Read Across America. So fun!
    I'm a new follower.

    School Is a Happy Place

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! Thanks for the Freebie!! I still remember when I was a kid and we did oobleck! One of the best memories I have of Elementary School! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    Julia
    The Army Wife Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally forgot about this book. Thank you for sharing!

    Hunter's Tales from Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this!! We did it a few years ago and I forgot about it! Sounds like something I need to add to my plans after testing for some fun!! :)
    Jivey
    ideas by jivey
    Follow Me On Facebook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had forgotten about this book when I completed my Mentor Text entry for this week! I use it every year as an introductory to our Chemical Test Unit- the kids love it! We also make oobleck as part of the chemical testing experience! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. The link isn't working for me- could you send me the link maybe? It's taking me to someone else's product!

    ReplyDelete